Cogir Senior Living manages retirement residences across the country. We offer a range of senior living options including independent living, assisted living and memory care.
For over 25 years, we have dedicated every day to the happiness of retirees.
Human Focus – Creativity - Excellence
We’re seeking individuals with a purpose and passion for life and who are looking for meaningful work that will make a real difference. Join our team today!
Are you a culinary leader with passion? Do you love to create and entertain?
Embrace the role of Culinary Manager and become a values-driven leader adept at managing our culinary and dining department. Your flair for creativity and culinary expertise will come to the forefront as you recruit, train, and oversee a team of exceptional culinary and service professionals. Operating with an eye on cost efficiency, you'll collaborate to deliver an unparalleled culinary experience to our residents, marked by excellent service, diverse menus, premium ingredients, and impeccable presentation. Your adept management style will motivate your team, ensuring a shared commitment to our values and an elevated dining experience.
Discover a unique balance through our culinary roles, offering a space for your creativity to flourish while maintaining a fulfilling lifestyle. Join us to rediscover the joy of cooking and serving, making a meaningful impact on seniors' lives with a job that values creativity and work-life equilibrium.
Your collaboration will extend to working closely with the Executive Director, National Director and Regional Managers of Culinary and residents to translate culinary visions into actionable plans, fostering alignment and successful execution. You'll adeptly lead a team, oversee financials, and prioritize resident satisfaction for a cohesive, high-achieving culinary operation. Leveraging your creative culinary prowess, you'll craft an exceptional dining experience that garners distinction as the "Best In Class," elevating meal quality and presentation.
Your multifaceted role encompasses collaboration, effective management, hands-on guidance, compliance assurance, relationship cultivation, and culinary innovation. By embodying these aspects, you'll significantly contribute to the success of our culinary program and enhance the overall satisfaction of our residents and stakeholders.
Perks and Benefits for the Culinary Manager:
We believe in rewarding our Culinary Manager for their results, hard work and dedication. Here are some of the appealing perks and benefits you can expect:
- Competitive Compensation Package: As a Culinary Manager, you will enjoy a lucrative compensation package. We offer a competitive salary that reflects your experience and expertise and eligibility to our department manager bonus plan. Additionally, there is an opportunity for annual merit increases, ensuring that your hard work and exceptional performance are recognized and rewarded.
- Comprehensive Onboarding and Training: We value your success and provide an extensive four-week onboarding program. This program is designed to equip you with the knowledge, skills, and tools necessary to excel in your role. We invest in your professional development from the start.
- Coaching and Mentoring: We are committed to your ongoing growth and development. You will have the opportunity to work closely with our Regional and National teams, who will provide guidance, support, and mentorship. Their expertise and insights will help you reach your full potential as a Culinary Manager.
- Dedicated Support: We understand the importance of having a strong support system. You will have access to dedicated support staff and resources to assist you in your role. Whether it's administrative support, operational guidance, Legal or Finance with specific challenges, we are here to ensure your success.
- Extensive Benefits Plan: Your well-being is important to us. We offer an extensive benefits plan that includes comprehensive medical coverage, health benefits, an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) for personal support, and a RRSP matching program to help you plan for your future.
- Manulife Vitality Program: We prioritize your health and wellness. As part of our commitment, we offer the Manulife Vitality program. By participating, you have the opportunity to earn exciting rewards and gift cards, encouraging a healthy and active lifestyle.
- Employee Perks Program: We are a proud partner of Perkopolis, an employee discount program that provides our team members with exclusive discounts on entertainment, travel and shopping, gift card rewards, and much more.
- Generous Time Off: We recognize the importance of maintaining a healthy work-life balance. You will start with three weeks of vacation per year, along with additional sick and personal days. This time off allows you to recharge, spend quality time with loved ones, and take care of personal commitments.
- Rewards and Recognition: We want you to know that your efforts are valued by celebrating your dedication, hard work and career achievements. We do this through our service awards program and celebration stations.
- Career Growth Opportunities: We believe in fostering a culture of growth and advancement. As you excel in your role as a Culinary Manager, there are clear paths for career progression within the organization. You may have the opportunity to move into regional and national positions, allowing you to continue making a positive impact on our organization at a larger scale.
Now that you know a bit about the role and our perks and benefits, we are eager to learn more about your skills and experience. Here is what we look for.
Skills for success:
- Culinary knowledge and experience with cooking techniques to create high quality dishes
- Strong leadership to inspire your team
- Dedicated to mentoring and coaching a team of culinary professionals
- Time management with the strong ability to multi-task
- Strong attention to detail, quality and taste
- Clear and open communication
- Customer/resident focused
- Innovative thinking with the ability to analyze a situation and develop effective solutions
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build positive relationships
- Able to remain composed under pressure
- Willingness to stay up to date on newest culinary trends
- Basic financial knowledge
- Red Seal Certification, signifying advanced culinary expertise and proficiency;
- Several years of experience as a professional chef, progressing through various kitchen roles, is crucial. This hands-on experience provides a deep understanding of culinary techniques, food preparation, and kitchen operations;
- Prior experience in a supervisory or leadership role within a culinary setting is essential. This could include roles like Sous Chef, Kitchen Supervisor, or Lead Cook, preferably in a unionized environment;
- Post-secondary education in the field of culinary management or a related field;
- Possession of a valid Food Safety/Food Handler's Certification, demonstrating a commitment to maintaining a safe and hygienic food environment;
- Understanding of food safety regulations, sanitation practices, and proper handling of ingredients to maintain a safe and hygienic kitchen environment;
- Smart Serve Certification or provincial equivalent, attesting to the ability to serve alcoholic beverages responsibly and in compliance with regulations;
- Strong computer skills for inventory management, menu planning software, and communication;
- Familiarity with budgeting, cost control, inventory management, and optimizing food costs to ensure efficient kitchen operations;
- Experience working in retirement living is considered an asset;
- Must provide a complete and current (within six months) Vulnerable Sector Check (including a Criminal Background Check) or be willing to obtain one.
Don’t Meet Every Requirement?
If you’re excited about working with us but your past experience doesn’t quite align with every qualification of this posting, we encourage you to apply. You just might be the right candidate for this or other roles. We are always looking for great talent to join our team.
We invite all interested individuals to apply and encourage applications from members of equity-deserving communities, including those who identify as Indigenous, Black, racialized, women, people with disabilities, and people with diverse gender identities, expressions and sexual orientations.
Cogir is committed to ensuring that all employment practices are inclusive. As an organization we are committed to providing and arranging accommodation for candidates upon request.