Cogir Senior Living manages retirement residences across the country. We offer a range of senior living options including independent living, assisted living and memory care.
For over 25 years, we have dedicated every day to the happiness of retirees.
Human Focus – Creativity - Excellence
We’re seeking individuals with a purpose and passion for life and who are looking for meaningful work that will make a real difference. Join our team today!
This is a Hybrid Role with the expectation to be in the office 2-3 days a week.
Reporting to the Manager of Property Accounting, the Property Accountant will perform tasks of a general accounting nature with respect to balance sheet and income statement financial statement line items, including capital asset expenditures, as well as ensure financial compliance with government funding regulations. As part of these tasks, the Property Accountant prepares specified journal entries, account reconciliations, schedules to support financial statement notes and government reporting for the clients of the company. The Property Accountant ensures that the company’s accounting policies are being followed. The Property Accountant will support the team through various business changes such as on-boarding new clients and other projects as required.
The ideal candidate will be proactive, self-motivated and possess a high attention to detail while still being able to meet deadlines and manage multiple tasks simultaneously. This position requires a team player who will be able to support their team towards the overall successful achievement of team goals.
- Achieve established timelines for accounting and reporting periods with accuracy and completeness for areas of responsibility;
- Support organizational needs for information with efficiency and effectiveness of delivery;
- Support government funding reporting requirements with efficiency of delivery
- Support organizational changes (client on-boarding, client off-board, acquisitions/dispositions by clients, etc) in an effective and efficient manner;
- Ensure reporting deliverables for clients are completed to time lines established by Management Agreements and External Financial Reporting with accuracy
- Comply with controls over accounting processes;
- Perform accurate accounting for general transactions and capital expenditures as related to managed property operations;
- Review and approve requests for capital expenditures based on capitalization policy
- Perform Balance Sheet account reconciliations as assigned for various client properties and investigate and correct any discrepancies;
- Prepare government financial compliance reporting as assigned;
- Identify and, with manager support, work towards improvement initiatives in accounting and financial reporting in Property and Capital Accounting
- Support both internal and external audits for various financial consolidations in areas as assigned;
- Support on-boarding and training of new team members or task re-assignments;
- Uphold and promote the organizations values and philosophy relating particularly to ethics, morality, and integrity as set out in the company's Code of Conduct; and
- Complete other duties as assigned
Required Education, Credentials and Experience:
- 3+ years of relevant working experience;
- Post-secondary Accounting degree or diploma;
- CPA Accounting designation (or pursing) is an asset but not required;
- Accounting experience with large-scale Enterprise Reporting systems, preference for Workday or Yardi
- Strong financial accounting background with experience in preparation of audit working papers;
- Strong analytical, comprehension and problem-solving skills;
- Advanced excel skills and ability to work with large volumes of data;
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to prioritize tasks and demonstrate agility during time of change
- Detail-oriented individual who emphasizes accuracy;
- Ability to build strong working relationships across the organization;
- Strong personal integrity;
- Desire to learn more; and demonstrate a willingness to support the team on a daily basis.
Cogir is committed to ensuring that all employment practices are inclusive. As an organization we are committed to providing and arranging accommodation for candidates upon request.